Ketchup on your brand new white blouse? Remnants of the chocolate bar you just ate on your jeans? Grease on your button down from changing a car tire? We’ve all been there. Stains are an inevitable part of life that tend to occur at the worst moments. Luckily, there are tricks that can ease your worries when it comes to those pesky marks that do not seem to go away. Here are the top six worst laundry stains and remedies to make disappear.
- Soak your article of clothing in a mix of a teaspoon of any laundry detergent and warm water for 15 minutes. Rinse out the detergent and dab the mark with rubbing alcohol. Let the clothing dry and rinse it once more. You should be good to go!
- Out at dinner or work? Grab a club soda and pour it liberally on the stain. Blot the spot in between pouring. This should completely lift the stain.
- For fresh blood, rinse the clothing in very cold water. If part of the stain still remains make a paste out of salt and cold water and apply it to the area. Rinse it with more cold water and wash the garment on a normal washing machine cycle.
- For dried blood, the best product to use is toothpaste. Apply it to the affected area and let it dry. Rinse with cold water and scrub the area with soap. Fruit Juice
- Turn the fabric inside out and run it under cold water. Wash it in the laundry machine in the hottest temperature of water that the fabric will allow with either chlorine bleach or color safe, depending on the color of the clothing. If you lack access to a washing machine, using boiling water will also work.
- If the stain does not disappear, soak the article of clothing in a mixture of laundry detergent and water overnight and repeat the instructions listed in the first bullet.
- Make a 50:50 solution of rubbing alcohol and water. Blot the area with the solution and let it air dry. Rinse the garment with cold water. If remnants of the stain are still there, wash the clothing on a cold water cycle in the washing machine.
- An effective yet widely unknown use of heavy cream is for the removal of chocolate stains. Apply the cream to the area and let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse the garment soak it in a mixture of laundry detergent and water for five minutes. Lastly, wash the clothing on a normal setting in the washing machine with cold water.
- Cover the mark with a mixture of dishwashing soap and water. Massage the mixture into the fabric with your fingers, which allows the soap to dissolve the grease. Rinse the soap mixture off and wash the garment in the washing machine.